|In both the male and female urinary systems, urine drains from the kidneys through the ureter into the bladder and then passes from the bladder down the urethra and to the external opening, the urinary meatus, to exit the body. In men, the urethra is about 8 inches (20 cm) long. In women, it is only about 1.5 inches (4 cm) long.
The structure of the female anatomy predisposes women to infection because the urethral opening is located very close to the anus, which is a common source of bacteria.
Therefore, bacteria can easily migrate across the perineum (the narrow band of flesh between the anus and the vagina) to the urethra. The structure of their physical anatomy makes infection less likely in men. The male urethra is much longer, and secretions from the prostate gland provide a better barrier.
There are, however, certain steps you can take to help maintain the health of the urinary tract:
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods, which may further irritate the bladder.
- Drink eight to ten glasses of water or other fluids per day to dilute the bacteria in your urine.
- Eat plain yogurt.
- Wash before and after sex; ask your partner to do the same.
- Take showers instead of baths.
- Wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting clothes.
- If using a diaphragm, wash, rinse, and carefully dry after each use. After using the toilet, always wipe from front to back.
- Take a standardized cranberry extract every day to promote normal urinary tract health.
- Cranberries have been known for decades to promote a healthy urinary tract. Clinical research demonstrates that cranberries' proanthocyanidins are powerful antioxidants that can reduce oxidative stress. Each Life Extension Cran-Max capsule contains 500 mg of cranberry concentrate to promote urinary tract health.
Each Cran-Max capsule also contains:
- The synergistic, complete spectrum activity of the entire cranberry plant
- A unique delivery system that protects its cranberry constituents from degradation
- Cran-Max contains concentrated cranberry made from the complete cranberry using a unique, patent pending process. No sugar added. Each capsule of Cran-Max contains powerful OPCs, organic acids, and antioxidants, providing the same benefits as drinking cranberry juice cocktail, but without the calories.
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule
Servings Per Container 60
Amount Per Serving - % Daily Value
Cranberry infused whole fruit 500 mg
Other Ingredients: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (vegetarian capsule), guar gum, sunflower lecithin. This product contains NO milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, or rice. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Dosage and Use: Take one capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- Do not exceed recommended dose.
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged
- If you have a bad reaction to product discontinue use immediately.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
The statements included above have not been evaluated by the FDA or Total Health. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.