|5-HTP May positively enhance mood and sleep cycle.
May reduce discomfort in patients with chronic pain as well as have positive weight management effects.
NUTRITIONALLY SUPPLIES THE IMMEDIATE METABOLIC PRECURSOR TO SEROTONIN
Dietary supplementation may enhance levels of:
- May positively enhance mood
- May enhance the sleep cycle
- May reduce discomfort in patients with chronic pain
- May regulate feeding patterns and have positive bariatric (weight management) effects
5-HYDROXYTRYPTOPHAN (5-HTP) is the immediate precursor in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitter 5-hydroxytryptamine(5 HT or serotonin). 5-HT is synthesized from the amino acid L-tryptophan. 5-HTP has replaced the use of L-tryptophan in the United States. In 1989 patients taking L-tryptophan developed a negative and debilitating reaction called eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome.
Upon further study it was determined that the culprit was not the L-tryptophan. It was actually a bacterial contaminant in the formula. L-tryptophan products associated with the syndrome were found to come from genetically modified bacterial recombinant production methods. Even though L- tryptophan was proven to be safe it never recovered from this incident. 5-HTP was created to fill the gap created by the removal of L-tryptophan in the marketplace.
Small amounts of 5-HTP, as well as serotonin, are found in: bananas, tomatoes, plums, avocados, eggplant, walnuts and pineapples. A common commercial source of 5-HTP is Griffonia simplicifolia, a relative to carob. 5-HTPs possible pain reduction benefit comes from its conversion to serotonin and to the observed effect of raising beta-endorphin and platelet met-enkephalin levels.
Serum leptin levels increased following 5-HTP injection in mice. This may explain 5-HTPs beneficial effect on weight management. Additionally, 5-HTP has been shown to reduce carbohydrate intake.
Serving Size 1 veggie capsule
Servings Per Container 120
5 HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) 50mg
Other Ingredients: Rice flour, cellulose, silica.
Suggested Dose: As a dietary supplement, take 1-2 capsules two times per day between meals or as directed by your health care professional.
1. Patients on MAOIs (approved 2 weeks after discontinuation).
2. Patients with carcinoid tumors.
3. Should not be used concurrently with medications such as: SSRIs, tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs.
4. Should not be used concurrently with serotonin 5-HT1 receptor agonists including Naratriptan, Sumatriptan, and Zolmitriptan.
5. Patients with ischemic heart disease (Hx of myocardial infarction, angina pectoris, documented silent ischemia).
6. Patients with Hx of coronary artery spasm.
7. Uncontrolled hypertension.
8. Pregnant women and nursing mothers.
Due to excessive serotonin production side effects could include:
Nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, vomiting, difficult breathing, dilation of pupils, exaggerated reflexes, loss of muscle coordination, blurring of vision and cardiac dysrhythmias.
Carbidopa may increase 5-HTP transport across the blood brain barrier due to decreased peripheral 5-HTP metabolism.
Methyldopa inhibits conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin
The statements included above have not been evaluated by the FDA or Total Health. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.